Friday, October 02, 2009
















This is my great grandfather, Walter Holke. He lived from Dec 25, 1892-Oct 12, 1954. He had a very successful 11 yr career at 1st base playing for the Giants, Braves, Phillies, and Reds. He was a switch hitter and was a left handed thrower. His nickname was the "Union Man". I am so proud of his accomplishments and the impact that he made on baseball. But mostly when I see this picture, I see my grandfather, Pa (Kenneth Holke), my dad (David Holke), my brother (Doug Holke) and my cousin, Landon Beck. His face so reminds me of Pa. But there is something in my dad's eyes that reminds me of Walter. And my brother and my cousin have his head shape and square jaw. So, when I look at him, I see my life. And now, as my son starts baseball for the first time...Jacob has Walter's piercing blue eyes, his ambidextrous abilities, and his left handed-ness. I hope my son enjoys baseball as I enjoyed softball. But more than that, I hope my son looks back on these cards and sees an honorable man who worked hard, raised an honorable son with a great sense of humor, who then raised my father (another good man), and then there was me...and then Jacob. I can only hope we carry on that same sense of character. And maybe I am imagining things...but I think I see a little bit of this german girl in Walter "Union Man" Holke.

No comments: