The "REAL" Memorial Day...The kids and I have had a big weekend. John got in last night. The kids and I got up to go walk in the parade this morning. However, half-way through the parade Jacob said he didn't feel good and he was shivering. Sure enough, by the time I got home, Jacob had a temperature of 101. So, we've had a quiet day. Just as well since I am exhausted. However, late this afternoon I walked to the corner grocer for a few items. While there I got a "real" reminder of what Memorial Day means. I had finished shopping and was in the check out line. The teenage girl who was checking me out got an unexpected guest. Her brother showed up in his naval uniform for one last hug as he was shipping out today. They didn't have a chance to talk since she was working so it was just one more hug. But her eyes spoke volumes when she turned around and looked at me. She was trying to hold it together and keep doing her job. But her eyes wanted to take a break and just go cry. My eyes teared up and we just looked at each other. She knew I sympathized and I felt so much for that girl I had never seen before. I choked back tears all the way home for what that family is feeling today. I thank God (frequently) that when my brother was in the navy, we weren't in the middle of a major conflict or war. But our family could easily have been in their shoes as were many families in the generations before mine. God bless them!
P.S. Yankees cannot make potato salad. Had to do some MAJOR doctoring...ha!
Monday, May 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment